Feedbacks!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Please don't hesitate to leave your feedbacks, they are very important to me to understand how to improve DTLoggedExec!
Jan 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM
What a great tool! After recently being stung by the issue where custom events do not bubble up correctly when nested > 2 packages deep, this provides an elegant solution.

I did have to fix a few cases where you werec calling _dataFlowProfileHandler without checking for null - it was causing the methods in CustomEventHandler to exit early (with no error) and ignore the data flow events (which I wanted).

If ther was a log provider for SQL for this tool, then I could keep my SSIS packages devoid of all logging and execute them within this.  Doing so would let me keep all of the executionid's the same for correlation purposes, and I already have a SP to split out the data flow formatted string for profiling (no need for profiling extension or other file if it's already embedded in the events). 

I might work with a generic sql provider (which calls the same sproc as SSIS does).  I'll let you know if I finish it :) 
It's kind of nice your app is it's own as well, that means the logging info for sql could be set in the config file and not force me to create a connection in every one of my packages - which is a nice bonus and can clean up the packages a bit.

And for the commandline, since your tool could be considered a dropin for the dtexec, you should look at making your commandline params match dtexec for easy portability.  Sort of like how the codeplex BI tool ASCMD matches SQLCMD  - (both do commands against either analysis server or sql server, same parameters)

Thanks for this great tool!

Kevin
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Hi Kevin

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It would be very nice if you can provide me the code to fix the problem you found (I've just opened an Issue on that, so that I can keep track of bugs) so that I put the fix into the next release. Actually it will also be better if you can upload the source code directly on codeplex so that it will be already available to everyone needs it. Just let me know if you'd like to do that, so I will add you to the contributors list.

I'm actually writing a CSV log provider so that it will be easy to import logging data into SQL Server. I've started to develop a log provider that writes directly into SQL Server because I've done some tests and it really brings down the performances.....anyway, if you're going to write a SQL Server Log Provider it would be nice if once ready you can add it to CodePlex too (with some info also no DTLoggdExec website)

I completely agree with you for the command line....I'm actually using a class provided by a Microsoft guy that make easy to deal with command line parameters, but as soon as I have some "free" time, I'll try to modify the code so that it will support exctaly the same syntax of DTExec

Thanks again!

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM

This looks very promising, but...

I'm not sure why you chose a license with a No Derivative Workscondition?

If my research into the code proves it to be applicable to my needs, I'm stating explicitly here that I intend to, with your permission of course, use this code for the corporate internal management of package execution in my company and to alter the code as I see fit for our needs.

from your response to kevinidzi it seems you are willing to allow such changes, but your chosen license explicitly denies alterations without your written conscent.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Hi dwainew

as I wrote in the first page:

The "NoDerives" licensing limitation just means that if you want to contribute to the project you have to join codeplex and/or contact me so that I can add you to official authors list.

Of course this is applicable for everyone who wants to modify the code and release it to the public. If you want to change the code and keep it for yourself only, do it freely :-) (Maybe just put a notice it your code, otherwise it may happen that people that will come after you, will contact me to have some help on the code but I that case, of course, I cannot help :-) )

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  Of course if I make any changes I feel would be useful to the public, I'll certainly let u know

cheers