Verbose Monitoring Progress

Topics: User Forum
Dec 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Hi guys, I would like to see the progress of the package in realtime. I haven't used dtexec for a while but I thought it had a "verbose" mode where you could see all the stages it was going through on the stdout to console. Is there such a thing in DtLoggedExec?

At the moment I am having to setup an sql log provider and run sql commands to watch my long running packages. But I thought that this application allowed doing away with pre-configuring logging?

Also my package is calling other packages and I'd really like something that allows showing the progress of these packages - something that even the BIDS GUI executor doesn't do..

Ideally I would also like to see the data flow logging in realtime also (like in BIDS GUI executor), I can see that DtLoggedExec allows this but only in a post-mortem fashion - but I'll start by just wanting to see the Control Flow progress on the console!

Thanks for any tips/comments!

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM

You can do this right now both using the Console or CSV DTLoggedExec log providers since both write a log file that tells you on which point of the control flow the package is working on.

If you wan to have a progress bar or something similar, you have to write your own Log Provider that - maybe using WCF or Remoting - send messages to a monitoring application you'll build to show package progress.

Otherwise you can write a Log Provider to log directly to a database (just be warned that this can hurt a lot performances) and then just quering the database (with a report or a custom application) will do the trick.